Saturday, August 21, 2010

Honey Extracting



Here are some photos of the honey extracting process. First I use a very sharp knife (I cut my thumb yesterday on it) to cut the wax caps off of the honey comb. I'm holding a frame that has been completely uncapped. Then they go into the extractor. We have an electric one that holds 20 frames. The extractor spins the honey out of the frames and we put the empty frames back on the hives for the bees to fill with honey again. The wax we've cut off gets melted down in our solar wax melter and used in our beeswax lotions and balms.
You can sort of see our new stainless steel honey tank that my honey man drove to Leamington to get in the left hand side of the photo of me holding the frame. It used to be a dairy tank but the dairy was put out of business by a Shoppers Drug Mart selling milk at ridiculously low prices. You have to wonder why things are so cheap sometimes.....

No comments:

Post a Comment