Friday, April 16, 2010

sauerkraut



I went to a fish fry at the South Bay United Church back in the fall and after a wonderful meal the cooks in the kitchen were giving away leftovers. I took home a HUGE tub of shredded cabbage. I decided it was time for me to make sauerkraut. First I did some research - I googled it. Then I cleaned the crock that had been the umbrella holder. Then I just put in layers of cabbage and handfuls of coarse sea salt until all the cabbage was gone. Then I put a plate on top with a jar full of water to act as a weight. After awhile the salt drew the water out of the cabbage and I topped it up with water until the cabbage was covered in water. I left it for about a week and it bubbled away. When mold formed on top I got worried but my research told me to skim if off and wait so I did. Then I packed it all into jars and put them in the fridge and gave a bunch away so I could have other food in my fridge. It tasted amazing and lasted for months. I would definitely do it again and need to as I'm all out of sauerkraut now.

Also, check out Coriander Girl. She has an article in House and Home which mentions us! Her flower shop carries Honey Pie products and is so lovely. If you're in Toronto you should go in and see her beautiful shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment